[Haskell-cafe] What's the deal with Clean?

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed Nov 4 05:14:21 EST 2009

Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at googlemail.com> writes:

> The boxed [array types] can be used with any element type (eg an array of
> records) while unboxed ones work with simple primitive types like ints,
> floats etc. The difference is about memory layout and therefore
> performance

...and of strictness.  A boxed array can contain pointers to unevaluated
thunks (including references to other cells in the array), an unboxed
array only contains evaluated values.

But yes, it'd be nice to tidy up the set of available array libraries,
and perhaps related functionality (bytestring, text) to provide a
unified and non-redundant, whole.  Platform prime, anyone?

-k