[Haskell-cafe] What's the deal with Clean?

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 18:45:15 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Ben Lippmeier <Ben.Lippmeier at anu.edu.au>wrote:

> David Leimbach wrote:
>
>> Disciplined Disciple might be interesting to look at here too, but i'm not
>> sure I'd deploy anything with DDC just yet :-)
>>
> :) Nor would I (and I wrote most of it). I think the approach is right, but
> the compiler itself is still in the "research prototype" stage.
>
> Ben.

I have to admit, the first time I hit the wiki page for DDC I said to myself
"Self, this sounds crazy complicated".  Then I read part of the PDF (your
thesis I believe) about Region Types on the bus ride to work and thought.
 "Gee I think I scared myself off too quickly".

Uniqueness typing is quite interesting in Clean, but to control aliasing,
like really *control* aliasing, that's just far out man.

So I still have to wrap my head around "why this isn't going to get
completely out of control" and see why it's all safer than just writing C
code but I must say the attention I will be paying to DDC has just gone
quite a bit up.

Dave