[Haskell-cafe] What's the deal with Clean?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 3 16:37:29 EST 2009

Deniz Dogan wrote:
> Recently there has been a lot of discussion on this list about the
> programming language Clean and converting Clean programs to Haskell.
> Reading the Wikipedia article on the language, I can't really see any
> major difference between that and Haskell, except for the monads vs.
> uniqueness types.
>
> So what's the deal with Clean? Why is it preferable to Haskell? Why is it not?

As far as I can tell, Clean is to Haskell as C is to Pascal. I.e., Clean
is notionally very similar to Haskell, but with lots of added clutter,
complexity and general ugliness - but it's probably somehow more
machine-efficient as a result.

(All of which makes the name "Clean" rather ironic, IMHO.)

Of course, this is merely the opinion I formed after performing a
cursory scan of some of the introductory documentation. I haven't
actually seen any code written with it or anything, so my opinion
probably doesn't mean a lot...