[Haskell-cafe] Re: Newcomers question

Alexander Dunlap alexander.dunlap at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 11:49:57 EST 2009

The type of liftA2 :: Applicative f =>(a -> b -> c) -> f a -> f b -> f
c. Thus, the type of liftA2 (==) :: (Eq b, Applicative f) => f b -> f
b -> f Bool. In your case, f :: a -> b, so liftA2 (==) :: (Eq b) => (a
-> b) -> (a -> b) -> (a -> Bool). (==) takes two arguments, so you're
left with the type (liftA2 (==)) x y :: a -> Bool. This contradicts
the class definition of Eq, which says that the type of (==) after
giving it two arguments must be Bool, not a -> Bool.

I hope that's clear enough. Busting out GHCi and using :t to find the
types of a lot of these expressions can be really helpful.

Alex