[Haskell-cafe] Monad Comprehensions

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Sun Nov 1 09:31:22 EST 2009

Hi all,

once again I find myself merely scratching the surface of the power of
Haskell, which is exciting and frustrating at the same time.

While real world demands require me to find / develop solutions quickly
(abstractions for querying data sets) I keep catching glimpses of all this
power.

But for someone like me it's difficult to assess from these glimpses alone
which to study first. In the last few weeks I kept bugging people here on
this list about DSLs, so I could create my own to express queries /
relational algebra. I'd later choose then to compile this to SQL or to
in-memory code.

Next thing I notice that I've overlooked list comprehension all this time,
which already express quite a lot of what I'd need. And then, on top of it
all, monad comprehension, or rather monads period. The thing that
particularly set me off was a video from Dan Piponi:
http://vimeo.com/6590617

It certainly made me realize how little I have understood how much power
merely monads give you.

In short, I'm truly lost. If anyone else, with roughly the same starting
point as me, has found their way through this jungle I'd certainly
appreciate some tips. In particular I wonder if someone has been able to
follow what Dan demonstrates in this video, or was it a jaw-dropping
experience for everyone else just as me?

Günther