[Haskell-cafe] HPC and derived instances

Felipe Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Sat May 30 20:31:43 EDT 2009

Why isn't there an option to control whether HPC, the Haskell
Program Coverage, will consider derived instances "coverable".
I'm using it and my top level coverage is 52% while my expression
coverage is at 92%.  Looking carefully we see that most
non-tested top level definitions are derived Show, Eq and Ord
instances that I always derive for most data types (as this is a

I think it is nice that it recognizes class instances, but there
should be a flag to ignore at least the derived ones.  Am I
missing something?

Thanks! :)