[Haskell-cafe] Data.Binary and little endian encoding

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Fri May 29 03:43:29 EDT 2009

Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> writes:

>> FWIW, I've used Data.Binary extensively and have found it a joy to
>> work with. I've used it to serialize/deserialize ethernet packets in
>> real time for a VPN implementation and have never had a problem. It's
>> quite fast and robust.

> Is that code available? We could do with something serious for
> benchmarking the binary package, especially if we go for any major
> re-engineering.

I'm using Data.Binary in the bioinformatics library to encode/decode
SFF files.  These contain gene sequences produced with the new
pyrosequencing technology from Roche/454, have sizes (with the latest
incarnation of the sequencing) of about 1-2GB.  Plenty of test data at

A program using the library is described here:

All available with (L)GPL licenses.