[Haskell-cafe] Data.Binary and little endian encoding

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 28 12:34:51 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 12:08 -0400, John Van Enk wrote:

>         I'm trying to implement the protocol, so that I can implement
>         other things on top of that.
>
>         I'm also trying to figure out how bad/good Haskell Binary IO
>         really is that it's been addressed a few times differently :-)
>

> FWIW, I've used Data.Binary extensively and have found it a joy to
> work with. I've used it to serialize/deserialize ethernet packets in
> real time for a VPN implementation and have never had a problem. It's
> quite fast and robust.

Is that code available? We could do with something serious for
benchmarking the binary package, especially if we go for any major
re-engineering.

If it's not available publicly perhaps you might share it privately. Don
and I have discussed a few times writing a paper on the design and
implementation of a binary library.

Duncan