[Haskell-cafe] the problem of design by negation

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Thu May 28 00:59:23 EDT 2009

Thanks for bringing in this angle, David.

My preference is for honest and humble practice and documentation of
negative design.  Instead of saying that something "won't work", "can't
work", "is impossible" etc (or rephrased via "must", "only", etc), I'd like
honest admissions like "I couldn't figure out X", "I got stuck on Y", etc.
After all, someone else might get further.  Or, in the rare cases, when
something actually is impossible, say so prove it.