[Haskell-cafe] Re: Strange type error with associated type synonyms

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed May 27 17:50:07 EDT 2009

Hello Achim,

>> Error: type of x is Integer
>>  while type of read argument should be String
>>
> The problem with this is that the compiler can't know whether or not
> the type of arguments to read should be a String, as someone could
> have messed up read's signature.

i don't understood what you mean, can you give an example?

> Granted, you have to have a knack for
> semantic bickering to not just glance over the imprecision.

yes, that's the part of problem - haskell is high-order language and
in general we have complex term applied to another complex term. but
in practice most times these terms are simple

at least, something like "Type of this term SHOULD BE Bool, while
actually it's Int" looks more understandable for me than
expected/inferred pair

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com