[Haskell-cafe] Strange type error with associated type synonyms

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed May 27 16:28:38 EDT 2009

Hello Max,

> As to whether it's confusing, I sometimes have to read these messages
> a few times (sometimes it's unclear which expression is being referred
> to, or why GHC thinks that the expression has a certain type), but the
> words themselves are clear in their meaning to me.

can you recall early times of your work with GHC? i think that these
words are non-obvious for novices. finally it becomes part of your instincts
as anything else often used. but it can be learning barrier. overall,
hard-to-understand error messages was elected as one of 3 most
important GHC problems in the survey conducted several years ago

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com