[Haskell-cafe] Beginner SOS

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Wed May 27 13:58:58 EDT 2009

Am Mittwoch 27 Mai 2009 19:14:15 schrieb Manu Gupta:
> Dear anyone,I wish to learn HASKELL.

Good :)

> However my institution does not teach it

Bad :(

> so plus I don't have a clue how to get around with it. Everything seems
> so unconventional and out of place
>
> Can you help me out in getting good tutorials that will help me to learn
> HASKELL by myself so that I can pursue it as a serious programming
> languages

For self-study, I would recommend having at least one textbook available, you can find a
list at http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Books
I found Simon Thompson's Craft of Functional Programming an excellent guide into the
language when I first met Haskell, I'm sure other books will be too.

Apart from a real paper book, I can recommend reading the wikibook at
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell
it's continually work in progress, so much of it is not yet polished, but it contains a
huge amount of cool and useful information.

More tutorials (of different quality) can be found at
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Tutorials
, look at some and read those which give the best impression.

And for the questions you will certainly have at some time, there are almost always a lot
of friendly and helpful people on the haskell irc-channel, reading the
beginners at haskell.org mailing list (lower traffic than haskell-cafe, so your questions
will be in less danger of being inundated by other messages) and haskell-cafe.