[Haskell-cafe] the problem of design by negation

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon May 25 23:22:33 EDT 2009

On 26 May 2009, at 12:54 pm, <ajb at spamcop.net> wrote:
> Conal is definitely on to something here.  I've noticed that the best
> designers have this weird personality quirk that allows them to put
> all
> of their effort into pushing an idea, and then instantly back down and
> revise the moment that it's been shown that the idea won't work.

I have one of Brian Marick's (www.exampler.com) stickers on my door.
It reads
	to be less wrong than yesterday

Two quotes I often give my students:
	Brethren, I beseech you in the bowels of Christ,
	consider it _possible_ that you _may_ be wrong.
		Oliver Cromwell

	Fear most of all to _remain_ in error.
		Me, deliberately misquoting Kierkegaard,
		quoting Socrates.  I changed 'be' to 'remain'.