[Haskell-cafe] Haskell in 3 Slides

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Mon May 18 12:45:44 EDT 2009

Actually, I don't think it's a good idea to introduce monads on one of
the 3-4 slides. While it *is* a core concept, it's not one of the
advertising "bullet points"; and 1 slide is not enough to show what
*use* monads are, let alone what they actually *are*.

I'd probably suggest you to show something parallelism-related on that
slide: for example, STM. Showing an "atomically do foo" and saying
"And here, we atomically do foo" may turn out impressive :)

And yes, of course HOF's.

Also, on the Strong Typing slide, probably you could fit in an
algebraic datatype and a smallish function over it in pattern-matched
style.

2009/5/18 Joe Fredette <jfredett at gmail.com>:
> While an incredibly small font is a clever option, a more serious suggestion
> may be as follows.
>
> 3-4 slides imply 3-4 topics, so the question is what are the 3-4 biggest
> topics in haskell? I would think they would be:
>
> * Purity/Referential Transparency
> * Lazy Evaluation
> * Strong Typing + Type Classes
> * Monads
>
> Assuming you have, say, 10-15 minutes for the talk, and the people there are
> versed with imperative programming and maybe have some experience in
> functional programming, you can probably jump over each of those slides in
> about a minute, just enough to touch the subject.
>
> I also assume that you don't need to fit the whole presentation in 3-4
> slides, if you do, then .... yah.
>

> /Joe
>

> David Leimbach wrote:
>>
>> Use an incredibly small font.
>>
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 8:16 AM, John Van Enk <vanenkj at gmail.com
>> <mailto:vanenkj at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    Hi all,
>>        I'm giving a presentation to an IEEE group on Embedded DSL's and
>>    Haskell at the end of June. I need a 3 to 4 slide introduction to
>>    Haskell. What suggestions does the community have? Is such a short
>>    intro possible?
>>        It just needs to introduce the basics so I can show some code
>>    without alienating the audience. I'm hoping some one else has
>>    attempted this before, but if not, some boiler plate slides could
>>    be useful for every one!
>>
>>    --    /jve

Eugene Kirpichov
Web IR developer, market.yandex.ru