[Haskell-cafe] Data.Binary and little endian encoding

Khudyakov Alexey alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Sat May 16 06:46:23 EDT 2009

On Friday 15 May 2009 06:52:29 David Leimbach wrote:
> I actually need little endian encoding... wondering if anyone else hit this
> with Data.Binary. (because I'm working with Bell Lab's 9P protocol which
> does encode things on the network in little-endian order).
> Anyone got some "tricks" for this?
>
> Dave

You could just define data type and Binary instance for 9P messages. Something
like this:

P9Message = Tversion { tag :: Word16, msize :: Word32, version :: String }

instance Binary P9Message where
  put (Tverstion  t m v) =  putWord16le t >>  putWord32le m >> put v
  -- and so on...

  get = do
    length <- getWord32le
    id <- getWord16le
    case is of
      p9TMessage -> do ...

There are a lot of boilerplate code thought...

BTW could you say what do you want to do with 9P? I tried to play with it
using libixp library but without any success. It was mainly to understand how
does it works and how can it be used.