[Haskell-cafe] I have forgotten .. my bad

Dougal Stanton ithika at gmail.com
Fri May 15 04:54:56 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Vasili I. Galchin <vigalchin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>        darcs get --init ....?????? I want to pull down Data.FiniteMap. I
> have forgotten the path to Hackage .. I tried ....
>
>  sudo darcs get http://hackage.haskell.org/ Data.FiniteMap
> [sudo] password for vigalchin:
> Invalid repository:  http://hackage.haskell.org
>
> darcs failed:  Failed to download URL
> http://hackage.haskell.org/_darcs/inventory : HTTP error (404?)
>
> ??
>
> Obviously the code I am cabalizing needs to be "upgraded"(i.e. not using
> deprecated packages) but first I want it to build!

If you want to install something from Hackage, use

$ cabal install foo

If you want to grab the source

$ darcs get --partial path/to/repo

(Omit the --partial flag if you want the full source tree, but if
you're not intending to do serious work on the source it's probably
not worth it.)

>From the error message above you appear to be "darcs get"ting the root
directory of the hackage server, which isn't a valid repository.

Dougal Stanton
dougal at dougalstanton.net // http://www.dougalstanton.net