[Haskell-cafe] Removing mtl from the Haskell Platform

Thomas ten Cate ttencate at gmail.com
Thu May 14 04:44:01 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:14, Wolfgang Jeltsch
<g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org> wrote:
> 4) The identifiers State and StateT are flawed. Something of value State s a
> doesn’t denote a state but a state transformer or however you want to name
> it.

A "state monad", i.e. a monad containing a state? If you use it in a
sentence in that way, the name State makes sense. "StateTransformer"
or something like that would lead to much confusion with the "state
transformer transformer" that is currently called StateT. I don't
really see a good alternative to the name State, and a good thing
about it is that it is short. Oh, bikesheds ought to be brown, of
course.

Cheers,

Thomas