[Haskell-cafe] question on the Prelude .. vis-a-vis

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed May 13 06:25:42 EDT 2009

"Vasili I. Galchin" <vigalchin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Graham Lyle has written some seriously beautiful code ....

That would be Graham _Klyne_.

> 1) I strongly suspect that in Swish 0.2.1 that some of Graham's
> libaries are already superseded by the Haskell prelude , e.g. HUnit,
> Parsec(!!!), his Sort directory/library

Graham includes in his source distribution a full (but out-of-date) copy
of Parsec and HUnit.  I would recommend to remove them, and depend on
released Hackage versions (probably both 1.0 or thereabouts).

The Sort library came from Ralf Hinze
It has not been cabalised or uploaded to Hackage.

> > {-# OPTIONS -fglasgow-exts #-}

Should become {-# LANGUAGE ... #-} where the "..." needs to be
determined by experimentation.

> > import Control.Monad.Identity
> > import Control.Monad.Reader
> > import Control.Monad.State

These are in package mtl.

> > import Data.FiniteMap

Data.FiniteMap no longer exists - it was superseded by Data.Map.
The two APIs are similar, except that the order of arguments is
generally reversed.