[Haskell-cafe] question on the Prelude .. vis-a-vis

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed May 13 06:25:42 EDT 2009

"Vasili I. Galchin" <vigalchin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Graham Lyle has written some seriously beautiful code ....

That would be Graham _Klyne_.

> 1) I strongly suspect that in Swish 0.2.1 that some of Graham's
> libaries are already superseded by the Haskell prelude , e.g. HUnit,
> Parsec(!!!), his Sort directory/library

Graham includes in his source distribution a full (but out-of-date) copy
of Parsec and HUnit.  I would recommend to remove them, and depend on
released Hackage versions (probably both 1.0 or thereabouts).

The Sort library came from Ralf Hinze
    http://www.informatik.uni-bonn.de/~ralf/software.html
It has not been cabalised or uploaded to Hackage.

> > {-# OPTIONS -fglasgow-exts #-}

Should become {-# LANGUAGE ... #-} where the "..." needs to be
determined by experimentation.

> > import Control.Monad.Identity
> > import Control.Monad.Reader
> > import Control.Monad.State

These are in package mtl.

> > import Data.FiniteMap

Data.FiniteMap no longer exists - it was superseded by Data.Map.
The two APIs are similar, except that the order of arguments is
generally reversed.

Regards,
    Malcolm