The HP and PackedString (was: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Removing mtl from the Haskell Platform)

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed May 13 04:24:46 EDT 2009

Not of the same gravity as mtl, but I was a bit surprised to see that
PackedString was included, in spite of it being marked as deprecated
on Hackage.

Presumably, this is because some other library depends on this, but I
think platform-blessing a deprecated library is a strange thing to
do.  If the functionality cannot be replaced in the dependent, could
it be an option to simply integrate the PS functionality?  Or should
it be de-deprecated?

wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> writes:

> [..] in terms of the HP is that I'd like to see one clear
> alternative be > blessed, instead of listing the alternatives.

FWIW, I strongly agree with this.

-k