[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] Bindings for libguestfs

John Dorsey haskell at colquitt.org
Tue May 12 15:11:32 EDT 2009

Richard,

> I added some partial bindings for libguestfs[1] here:
> http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=libguestfs.git;a=blob;f=haskell/Guestfs.hs;hb=HEAD

Terrific!  Partial bindings are great.  Thanks for releasing it.  I haven't
taken the time to look at your code, but...

> BTW, I found the documentation on writing FFIs very contradictory and
> incomplete.  For example, I was completely defeated trying to find
> ways to do simple stuff like passing in integers or returning
> booleans.  *Potentially* Haskell's FFI seems like it might be one of
> the best out of the languages I've used so far, but it needs way more
> documentation and examples.

Can you be more specific about what needs improvement?

I wrote a partial Haskell binding for Net-SNMP recently, and I got along
pretty well using the API docs at
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/index.html, and an
example in RWH using hsc2hs.

What did you see that was contradictory?

Regards,
John