[Haskell] Re[2]: [Haskell-cafe] Is Haskell a Good Choice for WebApplications? (ANN: Vocabulink)

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri May 8 03:52:18 EDT 2009

Hello Ketil,

Friday, May 8, 2009, 10:49:23 AM, you wrote:

>> FWIW, the JVM also fails to release memory resources back to the
>> OS. Given all the problems I've seen that one cause for long-running
>> processes, I'm definitely in support of correcting any behavior like
>> this in the GHC RTS.

> I'm curious what real problems arise from this?  As far as I can tell,
> virtual memory and overcommit ought to make this (i.e. not releasing
> memory back to the OS) mostly harmless.  Is this on particular systems
> with different properties than your average run-of-the-mill Unix?

this increase virtual memory usage, leading to swapping data to disk

once the memory is freed, it should be released - otherwise OS doesn't
know that it contains garbage and writes it to the disk once RAM
overflowed. it's pity to have file manager occupy 500 mb of virtual
memory only because you've worked with large archive a week ago

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com