[Haskell-cafe] How difficult would creating a collaborative multi-user online virtual world application be in Haskell?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Thu May 7 19:41:32 EDT 2009

Benjamin L.Russell wrote:
> Unfortunately, Smalltalk is an object-oriented language.  If possible,
> I would like to see something similar in a functional programming
> language such as Haskell.
>
> Does anybody know whether duplicating this project in Haskell would be
> feasible?

In terms of technical feasibility, Smalltalk does have some advantages
in the metacircularity of the VM/compiler/program, which seem like
they're being taken advantage of for this application. Following along
this direction, Luke Palmer is working on a language, Dana[1], which
aims to be Haskell-like and also to have a Smalltalk-like metacircular
VM. Depending on what exactly you want to duplicate, something like the
Dana project may be a good thing to follow.

[1] http://lukepalmer.wordpress.com/category/code/dana/

--
Live well,
~wren