[Haskell-cafe] Is Haskell a Good Choice for Web Applications? (ANN: Vocabulink)

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Wed May 6 16:01:23 EDT 2009

fft1976:
> I've heard it's hard to contain a long-running Haskell application in
> a finite amount of memory, but this is probably not a problem if your

Hmm. Gossip driven development?

> web site sleeps 0.001% of the time (like XMonad), or you can restart
> it every once in a while without anyone noticing.

Keeping footprints small and stable isn't so hard. After all, we have
wonderful heap profiling tools. I recommend the type-based heap
profiler, in particular. Run your app for a week, and look at the heap
graph. You'll know if things are ok. (Try this in C++ !)

-- Don