[Haskell-cafe] Writing a compiler in Hakell

minh thu noteed at gmail.com
Wed May 6 02:25:22 EDT 2009

2009/5/6 Rouan van Dalen <rvdalen at yahoo.co.uk>:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I am designing my own programming language.
>
> I would like to know what is the best way to go about writing my compiler in haskell.
> What are the tools available in haskell that can help with compiler construction?
>
> I know about Happy.  Is that a good tool to use?
>
> The compiler is intended for serious use and I would like it to be very efficient, maybe competing
> with compilers written in C.  It should also be very easy to extend as the languoge grows.

Hi,

This seems an interesting project.
Can you tell us a bit more about your language (functional, dynamic,
lazy, does it support call/cc, ...) ?
What about the target language (C, C--, x86 assembly, some virtual machine) ?
What about the syntax ?

Depending of the kind of answers you might provide, specific
directions can probably be given.

Also, you say "maybe competing with compilers written in C", do you
really talk about compiler performance or about generated code
performance ?

Once those questions are resolved, you can go to hackage, see a list
of packages.
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html

For x86 machine code:
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/harpy