[Haskell-cafe] A brief note on n_k patterns and Hackage

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Tue May 5 11:57:36 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>> I never really understood why it was thought to be relevant,
>> but I was challenged to show that n+k patterns occurred in
>> Hackage.
>
> Why is it relevant?

Showing that they occur was not relevant.  Showing the number of
occurrences relative to the number of packages, function definitions,
and other features was relevant (in my opinion):
http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell-cafe@haskell.org/msg58320.html

But, I phrased the challenge poorly and this is what we get :)  I was
just curious if it's a feature worth holding on it (eg., it gets a lot
of good use).  Sadly, just me commenting here about that goal will
probably rekindle the thread we would all like to avoid...  My
sincerest apologizes if that happens.

Jason