[Haskell-cafe] List comprehension

minh thu noteed at gmail.com
Tue May 5 11:34:37 EDT 2009

2009/5/5 applebiz89 <applebiz89 at hotmail.com>:

> Hi, I think I need to use a list comprehension for this function but Im not
> good with list comprehension. this is what I have so at the moment?
>
> filmsInGivenYear :: Int -> [Film] -> [String]
> filmsInGivenYear filmYear ?= [ title | year <- (Film title director year
> fans) , year == filmYear] (this code wont compile - error given '?Syntax
> error in expression (unexpected `;', possibly due to bad layout)')
>
> Is there an alternative solution instead of comprehension? I want the
> function to be given a release date and then return all films with that
> date.

Hi,

I suggest you start by some simple examples, then move to your goal.
For instance you can try to write a function which takes in input a list of
Int and outputs a list of those Int that are odd.

f [1,2,3,4,5] => [1,3,5]

You can generalise this function to accept a predicate.

g even [1,2,3,4,5] => [2,4]

Returning back to your problem, can you write a function that takes
a Film and returns its release date ? Then you can write a function
which test if that date match a given one.

Then, finally, you can write a function which get a list of Film and outputs
only those satisfying your desire.

Cheers,
Thu