[Haskell-cafe] Interesting Thread on OO Usefulness (scala mailing list)

Mads Lindstrøm mads_lindstroem at yahoo.dk
Mon May 4 11:01:16 EDT 2009

Hi

Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Paolo,
>
> Monday, May 4, 2009, 2:05:44 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Martin Odersky advocates the OO features of the scala language
> > proposing an interesting problem where the OO approach seams
> > valuable.
>
> i know two problems in Haskell/GHC that require OO-loke features -
> extensible exceptions and GUI widget types hierarchy

Yes, type hierarchies require OO.

But, do we really need to represent different widget-types in a
hierarchy?

An alternative to a big hierarchy would be to let different widget-types
implement different type classes. We could have type classes like
MouseEvents, KeyboardEvents, Activated, ...

/Mads Lindstrøm