[Haskell-cafe] HDBC 2.1, UTF8 and Umlauts

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon May 4 10:35:55 EDT 2009

GüŸnther Schmidt wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> for some reason, any way I try, all the Umlauts get garbled with HDBC 2.1.
> HDBC 1.16 worked fine with any backend (ODBC, Sqlite3, ... what have you).
>
> Anybody else had similar problems and knows how to solve this?

You need to be more specific, but it is likely you are trying to send
something to HDBC that isn't encoded in UTF-8.  HDBC 2.x has a global
preference for UTF-8 now, actually partly to resolve complaints like this.

If you are feeding it ISO-8859-1 data or somesuch, try giving it UTF-8
instead.

-- John