[Haskell-cafe] Is Haskell a Good Choice for Web Applications? (ANN: Vocabulink)

Chris Forno jekor at jekor.com
Mon May 4 03:45:30 EDT 2009

I decided to find out for myself. You can find the results at

Included is the source code for the web application powering

The source is roughly 2,000 lines of Haskell, along with some SQL and
JavaScript. It's written in literate style and includes a 75-page PDF.
It demonstrates and explains how to:

 * use FastCGI to communicate with a web server (nginx in this case)
 * move data to and from a PostgreSQL database (HDBC)
 * authenticate users with cookies
 * interact with users via asynchronous JavaScript and JSON (AJAJ)
 * collect data with HTML forms (formlets)
 * communicate with users via email
 * cache with memcached
 * implement a custom forums system (with threaded comments)

I make no claims that the code is elegant or idiomatic. It is however
real code that's running "in the wild". And I hope it's useful to anyone
else considering doing web development in Haskell.

I welcome and encourage your feedback!