[Haskell-cafe] Re: gcd

Nathan Bloomfield nbloomf at gmail.com
Sun May 3 02:35:04 EDT 2009

Having gcd(0,0) = 0 doesn't mean that 0 is not divisible by any other
natural number. On the contrary, any natural trivially divides 0 since n*0 =
0. Perhaps the disagreement is over what is meant by "greatest". The
"greatest" in gcd is not w.r.t. the canonical ordering on the naturals;
rather w.r.t. the partial order given by the divides relation. Similarly for
the "least" in lcm.

Suppose gcd(0,0) = a. Then a|0, and if b|0 then b|a. (That's what it means
to be the gcd.) So what is a? Since every natural number divides zero, a
must be divisible by every natural number. The only natural number with this
property is 0, which can be proved using the essential uniqueness of prime
factorizations and infinitude of primes.

So having gcd(0,0) = 0 isn't just useful, it's the correct thing to do.

I hope that didn't use too many long words. :)

-Nathan Bloomfield
Grad Assistant, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville