[Haskell-cafe] using haskell for a project

Belka lambda-belka at yandex.ru
Sun May 3 00:57:04 EDT 2009

Welcome to Haskell! =)

> But now I don't know how to dynamically add new spells (new spells can be
> created in my gameplay). Since I can't assign a new value to the `spells'
> variable (Data.Map.insert returns a new map), I just don't know where to
> go.

Do distinguish *pure function* concept and *action with side effects*
concept.
The default in FP (Funct. Progr.) paradigm usualy is *pure function*, if
*action with side effects* is avoidable. Pure functions deal with immutable
memory "objects". So in your case, whenever you add a new spell, you get a
new character (since your chacter's "essence" is a spell list). That way
after calculating *addNewSpell* you will have 2 versions of character: a new
one (with spells list bigger), an the original one. Since old one usualy
drop out of the scope (while program evaluation progresses) it gets *garbage
collected* (note: garbage collection showed up in FP already in 1960s).

addNewSpell :: Character -> Spell -> Character
addNewSpell char_old_version spell_to_add = ...

main = let char_new_version = addNewSpell char_old_version new_spell in
putStrLn $ show char_new_version
          where char_old_version = Charcter {...}
                   new_spell = Spell { .... }

Have luck, with the brain rewriting! =)