[Haskell-cafe] Is there a way to see the equation reduction?

Daryoush Mehrtash dmehrtash at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 23:02:29 EDT 2009

I am interested in reasoning about a code,  say for example:

data DList a = DLNode (DList a) a (DList a)

mkDList :: [a] -> DList a

mkDList [] = error
<http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/Prelude.html#v:error>
"must have at least one element"
mkDList xs = let (first,last
<http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/Prelude.html#v:last>)
= go last <http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/Prelude.html#v:last>
xs first
             in  first

  where go :: DList a -> [a] -> DList a -> (DList a, DList a)
        go prev []     next = (next,prev)
        go prev (x:xs) next = let this        = DLNode prev x rest
                                  (rest,last
<http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/Prelude.html#v:last>)
= go this xs next

                              in  (this,last
<http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/Prelude.html#v:last>)

takeF :: Integer
<http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/Prelude.html#t:Integer>
-> DList a -> [a]
takeF 0     _                 = []
takeF (n+1) (DLNode _ x next) = x : (takeF n next)

With the debugger I can see the calls that are made when I run:

takeF 2 (mkDList [1,2,3])

But I am more interested in seeing the expansion and reduction that
the execution encounters as it lazily evaluates the function.

Daryoush