[Haskell-cafe] [SoC] XML Schema Implementation

Vlad Dogaru ddvlad at anaconda.cs.pub.ro
Mon Mar 30 18:16:04 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I am writing to judge interest in a Summer of Code proposition: an XML
Schema[1] implementation, described as a possbile application here[2].
As both a tool and an inspiration, I intend to use HaXML[3].

More specifically, I would be interested in the degree the Haskell
community uses XML Schema, and if you were tempted to use it if we had
an implementation. To further expand the question, how useful do you
consider each of these components:
 * a validator
 * a pretty-printer
 * a translator from XML Schema to Haskell, similar to DtdToHaskell[4]

For the latter item, some runtime checking will definitely be required:
restrictions such as value ranges for integers or minimum and maximum
occurences of an element cannot, to my knowledge, be enforced through
type definitions. Finally, I kindly ask anyone with relevant experience
to point out other possible pitfalls.

Vlad Dogaru

[1] http://www.w3schools.com/Schema/
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1120