[Haskell-cafe] type-level programming support library

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 16:10:12 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Lennart Augustsson
<lennart at augustsson.net>wrote:

> I wasn't questioning the utility of John's library. But I saw him
> mentioning unary numbers and I think it's a mistake to
> use those for anything practical involving even moderately sized
> numbers.

 Completely agreed. =)

 I only popped in because it seemed that between your response and Jose's
the conversation seemed likely to devolve into an interpretation of what he
was trying to do as 'just another type level number lib' and I wanted to
steer things in a more productive direction.

> I'd love to see a good type level programming library.  There's a lot
> of it out there, but it's never packaged in a way that is reusable as
> a good library.

 I started trying to package a bunch of this stuff up a year or two back,
and just basically lost the will to finish because it was just too tedious
to use with fundeps.

Even if the lack of polymorphic kinds seems to force it into a very
'pointful' style of programming, I'd be curious to see how far it could be
taken.

-Edward Kmett