[Haskell-cafe] type-level programming support library

Martijn van Steenbergen martijn at van.steenbergen.nl
Mon Mar 30 14:00:40 EDT 2009

John Van Enk wrote:
>  > Haskell not having 'polymorphic kinds'.
>
> Is there a good description of why Haskell doesn't have polymorphic kinds?

IANA expert but polymorphic kinds belong to a set of reasonably new
influences (e.g. from dependently typed programming languages and
generic programming) and they haven't been 1) polished enough to be a
widely accepted standard or 2) simply haven't been implemented yet (low
priority, etc).

Besides that, I sometimes see polymorphic kinds in GHC error messages,
so I suspect that at least parts of GHC already support them.

Martijn.