[Haskell-cafe] Building GHC under cygwin

Zachary Turner divisortheory at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 11:35:56 EDT 2009

Has anyone had any luck building a windows version of GHC under cygwin?  I
followed the instruction on the building guide to build it under MinGW/msys,
which works, but when I try to build it under cygwin instead of msys I get
this:

cabal-bin.exe: Cannot find the program 'ghc' at
'/cygdrive/c/dev/haskell/ghc/ghc-6.10.1/bin/ghc' or on the path
make[1]: *** [bootstrapping.conf] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/c/dev/haskell/ghc/ghc-6.10.1-src/libraries'
make: *** [stage1] Error 2

Fairly early in the build process.  Looking in that folder, there is a
ghc.exe there, but not a ghc.  I'm not too familiar with cygwin so I feel
like this is something fairly obvious, but I didn't see it covered on the
wiki anywhere.  A google search indicated that I might have to override the
host mode in the configure state but didn't elaborate, and also I'm not sure
how to do that.  I also want to make sure that I get a *windows* version of
GHC out of the build, as the post I found suggested that might not be the
case.