[Haskell-cafe] Definition of "tail recursive" wrt Folds

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Sat Mar 28 09:48:03 EDT 2009

You are absolutely right.  The concept of tail call is not quite as
easy to define in Haskell as some people seem to think.
It is, after all, an operational concept.

In your example
>  if' a b c = if a then b else c
>  variant x = if' (p x) (f x) (g x)
the variant function tail calls if', and if' tail calls b or c.
So in a transitive sense variant tail calls (f x) or (g x).

  -- Lennart