[Haskell-cafe] Re: Exception handling in numeric computations

Gregory Petrosyan gregory.petrosyan+haskell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 06:01:37 EDT 2009

Thanks a lot for the answer!

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:36 PM, John Lato <jwlato at gmail.com> wrote:
> Languages with checked exceptions usually use them for two purposes:
>
> 1.  Exceptional conditions - disk full, CPU on fire, etc.
> 2.  Error handling - invalid arguments to a function, attempt to
> invert non-invertible matrix, etc.

Is there any good rule someone can use to decide whether it is error
or exception?
For me, this is the most important thing, because IMHO you (as library
writer) often can't
say what is it, it's up to client of your code to decide.

> Henning T., FYI your constant advocacy has gotten at least one person
> around to this view.

Can you please provide me some links about error/exception separation?

                Gregory