[Haskell-cafe] about Haskell code written to be "too smart"

Colin Adams colinpauladams at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 26 03:30:12 EDT 2009

2009/3/25 wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org>:
>>  Most of the "documentation" is in research papers, and a "normal"
>>  programmer don't want to read these papers.
>
> Yes, and no. There is quite a bit of documentation in research papers, and
> mainstream programmers don't read research. However, this is a big part of
> what makes the Haskell community what it is. There are plenty of
> non-academics here, but they have the willingness to read these papers (even
> if it's out of the ordinary) and the desire to learn radical new things
> (because they're out of the ordinary).

Yes.
BUT ...

when I look up the Haddock-generated documentation for a function, I
DON'T appreciate it if that is in the form of a hyperlink to a
research paper.
And that occurs in several of the libraries shipped with GHC for instance.

A reference to a research paper is fine to show where the ideas came
from, but that is not where the library documentation should be.