[Haskell-cafe] Re: [OT] Japanese (was: Re: about Haskell code written to be "too smart")

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Wed Mar 25 19:12:30 EDT 2009

wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> wrote:

> All natural languages are Thinking-complete.

No, they aren't. Falsifying the Saphir-Worph thesis, I quite often find
myself incapable of expressing a certain thought, or if I succeed,
come up with two or more versions in multiple different languages that
mean slightly different things, and, in retrospect, all don't fit the
thought.

On another scale, it's just a waste of time: Why should I spend minutes
figuring out how to spell out "Even though X -> Y and X -> nonsense,
(Z -> Y) -> nonsense does not necessarily hold" when I already figured
that one out.

All thoughts are fundamentally ineffable: Therefore, all languages are
thinking-incomplete.