[Haskell-cafe] Use unsafePerformIO to catch Exception?

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Wed Mar 25 14:39:51 EDT 2009

Quoth Jonathan Cast <jonathanccast at fastmail.fm>:

> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 10:00 -0700, Donn Cave wrote:

>> So I thought it would be interesting to explore statements like "you
>> must not do this", and "pure Haskell is not allowed to be
>> non-deterministic", in terms of practical effects.  No one would
>> make a statement like that and not hope to be challenged on it?
>
> What?  Challenged by people who think Haskell should not be a purely
> functional language?  I mean, that's kind of what it is.  Again, if you
> don't want to use a purely functional language, there are *lots* of
> impure languages out there.  There's no need to turn Haskell into one of
> them.

OK.  You may note that I didn't actually pose any questions to you
until engaged directly, having already surmised that answers were not
forthcoming.

But for the record, I should note that I haven't proposed any changes
to Haskell, recently or that I recall even in the distant past except
for one idea I had about pattern matching in a lambda expression.

	Donn