[Haskell-cafe] Haddock GSoC project

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Wed Mar 25 10:04:34 EDT 2009

I'm interested in being a GSoC student, and the Haddock-related tickets looked
like a good place to start

... haddock could use some love!  And I love documentation.

I think I'd start by hacking on some relatively easy Haddock tickets to find my
way around the code and the hacking process.  Then it might be time to move
into one of the bigger projects (I'm tempted to say #1567, "Haddock: allow
documentation to propagate between packages"), depending on priorities;
probably still working on some smaller but important Haddock tickets.  Then it
depends how much time we have left in the summer, there's a lot that can be

- I've hacked on the GHC lexing/parsing code a bit, and I know darcs, haskell,
etc., and I've been around watching on mailing-lists since before Haddock 2.x,
so I feel like I have a fair amount of context with which to approach this

What do you think, is this a good project to look towards?  What's the next
step... should I elaborate my proposal by looking at Haddock tickets and their
priorities?  But I should have your feedback first; what do the mentors, or the
Haskell community, want most to be improved about Haddock?