[Haskell-cafe] about Haskell code written to be "too smart"

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Tue Mar 24 18:15:08 EDT 2009

Dan Piponi ha scritto:
>> Miguel Mitrofanov wrote:
>>> takeList = evalState . mapM (State . splitAt)
>
>> However, ironically, I stopped using them for pretty
>> much the same reason that Manlio is saying.
>
> Are you saying there's a problem with this implementation? It's the
> only one I could just read immediately.

Yes, you understand it immediately once you know what a state monad is.
But how well is introduced, explained and emphasized the state monad in
current textbooks?

When I started learning Haskell, the first thing I learned was recursion
and pattern matching.

So, this may be the reason why I find more readable my takeList solution.

 > [...]

Manlio