[Haskell-cafe] about Haskell code written to be "too smart"

Gregg Reynolds dev at mobileink.com
Tue Mar 24 17:38:01 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Manlio Perillo
<manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:

> I too have this feeling, from time to time.

So do I, because I haven't had the time to learn what I need to learn
in order to read the code smoothly.  I find that when I do work out
the meaning, most often the style reflects conciseness or
expressiveness, not obfuscatory tricks that the language allows.

> Since someone is starting to write the Haskell coding style, I really
> suggest him to take this "problem" into strong consideration.

Rule One of the Haskell Coding Style Handbook:  learn Haskell first,
then worry about style.  After all, nobody in her right mind would
tackle a French style manual without learning French first.  Although
I suppose one could argue that learning Haskell in fact involves
learning various styles.  ;)

-gregg