[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hugs on iPhone

Rick R rick.richardson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 19:00:26 EDT 2009

This is solely the reason for my interest in JHC.

The agreement doesn't specifically prohibit the use of interpreters (just
those than run external code). It also doesn't say anything about machine
generated code. The only thing one would have to ensure is that the
dependencies of JHC are all compiled in, or statically linked. Shared libs
are disallowed in any app. If it has a runtime dependency on gcc (is there
such a thing?) Then you would have to statically link it and therefore
couldn't sell your application. (gotta love GPL)

JHC also helps with another issue:
There is some concern about garbage collection schemes, Apple removed their
own garbage collector in the iPhone SDK and the docs mention that GC isn't
allowed. But there is nothing about that in the Developer Agreement. JHC's
region based memory management very closely reflects Apples own convention
for using memory pools for all allocation. I speculate that this would less
likely to be  rejected. .

There is also some discussion on both the GHC and JHC mailing list WRT this
a month or two ago.
I will attempt exactly this scheme later next month, will let you know how
it goes. :)

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 5:45 PM, John Meacham <john at repetae.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 04:41:04PM -0400, Braden Shepherdson wrote:
> > The good news is that jhc's portable C code works perfectly well -- but
> > of course that is simply running precompiled Haskell apps and not a
> > compiler or interpreter running on the device. Since jhc is not
> > self-hosting (yet?) but instead is built with GHC, that's the best we
> > can do with that approach for now.
>
> I wondered what would happen if I submitted some jhc generated C for
> approval, it _almost_ looks like it could have been hand written by
> someone with an unusual penchant for gotos and their own inscrutable
> hungarian notation.
>
>        John
>
> --
> John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈

We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we
created them.
   - A. Einstein