[Haskell-cafe] ACM Task for C++ and Java programmers in Haskell. How to make code faster?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sun Mar 22 19:37:04 EDT 2009

http://hpaste.org/fastcgi/hpaste.fcgi/view?id=2764

> Could someone help me to make this code faster? I'd like to see
> solution that will be elegant and fast, without heavy optimizations,
> that will make code unreadable. Also, if it possible, prepare the
> program to support SMP parallelism.

The solution's already been posted, but to make this particular code
faster, I recommend using Data.Trie instead of Data.Map ByteString. Tries
are faster for lookup since they don't redundantly check the prefix of the
query; also they're better for memory usage because they don't store
redundant copies of the prefixes.

http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/bytestring-trie

--
Live well,