[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ease of Haskell development on OS X?

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Sun Mar 22 09:34:35 EDT 2009

On 22 Mar 2009, at 13:42, Colin Adams wrote:

>>> After some time running it failed with:
>>>
>>> To fully complete your installation and make python 2.5 the default,
>>> please run
>>>
>>>       sudo port install python_select
>>>       sudo python_select python25
>>
>> ...The thing is that when I removed python_select and python, there
>> remains
>>  $ /opt/local/bin/python --version
>>  Python 2.5.1
>> So your package somehow needs 2.5.2, which may be the culprit.
>
> Which package? None of them are mine.

One of the packages you tried to install asked for this, in this list:

> Just what it says on the wiki page:
>
> sudo port install glade3 libglade2 gstreamer gst-plugins-base
> gtksourceview cairo librsvg gtkglext firefox

Looking into your post:
> --->  Cleaning python25
> --->  Fetching py25-hashlib
> --->  Attempting to fetch Python-2.5.2.tar.bz2 from
> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.2/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for py25-hashlib
> --->  Extracting py25-hashlib
> --->  Configuring py25-hashlib
> --->  Building py25-hashlib with target build
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
it is py25-hashlib that is the culprit.

I was able to install it. Then I got a later Python:
> --->  Attempting to fetch Python-2.5.4.tar.bz2 from http://arn.se.distfiles.macports.org/python25

The procedure followed was (do a 'sudo -s' so save writing:

First uninstall python25 and dependencies:
# port uninstall python25
--->  Unable to uninstall python25 2.5.2_5+darwin_8, the following
ports depend on it:
--->  	py25-gobject
--->  	py25-numeric
--->  	gstreamer

# port uninstall gstreamer at 0.10.19_0
--->  Deactivating gstreamer @0.10.19_0
--->  Uninstalling gstreamer @0.10.19_0

# port uninstall gstreamer at 0.10.8_0
--->  Uninstalling gstreamer @0.10.8_0

# port uninstall py25-gobject
--->  Deactivating py25-gobject @2.14.2_0
--->  Uninstalling py25-gobject @2.14.2_0

# port uninstall py25-numeric
--->  Deactivating py25-numeric @24.2_1+macosx
--->  Uninstalling py25-numeric @24.2_1+macosx

# sudo port uninstall python25

Then I noticed there was an unregistered python - those seems to
confuse MacPorts. OS move it:
# cd /opt/local/bin/
# mv python python1

Then I installed python_select and python25:

# port install python_select
--->  Fetching python_select
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for python_select
--->  Extracting python_select
--->  Configuring python_select
--->  Building python_select
--->  Staging python_select into destroot
--->  Installing python_select @0.2.1_0+darwin_9
--->  Activating python_select @0.2.1_0+darwin_9
--->  Cleaning python_select
bash-3.2# port install python25
--->  Fetching python25
--->  Attempting to fetch Python-2.5.4.tar.bz2 from http://arn.se.distfiles.macports.org/python25
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for python25
--->  Extracting python25
--->  Applying patches to python25
--->  Configuring python25
--->  Building python25
--->  Staging python25 into destroot
--->  Installing python25 @2.5.4_0+darwin_9+macosx
--->  Activating python25 @2.5.4_0+darwin_9+macosx

To fully complete your installation and make python 2.5 the default,
please run

	sudo port install python_select
	sudo python_select python25

--->  Cleaning python25

After that follow the instructions:

# sudo port install python_select
Skipping org.macports.activate (python_select +darwin_9) since this
port is already active
--->  Cleaning python_select

# sudo python_select python25
Selecting version "python25" for python

And finally to py25-hashlib:

# port install py25-hashlib
Portfile changed since last build; discarding previous state.
--->  Fetching openssl
--->  Attempting to fetch openssl-0.9.8j.tar.gz from http://arn.se.distfiles.macports.org/openssl
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for openssl
--->  Extracting openssl
--->  Applying patches to openssl
--->  Configuring openssl
--->  Building openssl
--->  Staging openssl into destroot
--->  Installing openssl @0.9.8j_0
--->  Activating openssl @0.9.8j_0
Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
share/man/man3/bn_print.3.gz already exists and does not belong to a
registered port.  Unable to activate port openssl.
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: openssl

So here I just remove the unregistered file:
# rm /opt/local/share/man/man3/bn_print.3.gz
# port activate openssl @0.9.8j_0
--->  Activating openssl @0.9.8j_0

So now it worked. Try py25-hashlib again:
# port install py25-hashlib
--->  Fetching py25-hashlib
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for py25-hashlib
--->  Extracting py25-hashlib
--->  Configuring py25-hashlib
--->  Building py25-hashlib
--->  Staging py25-hashlib into destroot
--->  Installing py25-hashlib @2.5.4_0
--->  Activating py25-hashlib @2.5.4_0
--->  Cleaning py25-hashlib

So now I git t installed. - I got beyond the point where you got stuck.

   Hans