[Haskell-cafe] Re: Completely confused by cabal

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 22 08:30:20 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 11:51 +0000, Colin Paul Adams wrote:

>     Achim> Colin Paul Adams <colin at colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>     >> So why doesn't it find packages then, when they are installed?
>     >>
>     Achim> I've got no idea, what exactly are you trying to do, and
>     Achim> how?
>
> I'm trying to re-compile ghc 6.11 and it doesn't find parsec.

The ghc build system is fairly self contained. I'm not sure if it cares
if your bootstrapping compiler has parsec or not. If the ghc build
system is looking for the parsec modules then I very much doubt it is
going to be looking in any parsec package that your bootstrapping
compiler might have registered (either globally or per-user). It'll be
looking for the sources that it comes bundled with.

A quick look in my ghc source tree reveals:

ghc/utils/ext-core/Language/Core/ParsecParser.hs
ghc/libraries/parsec/Text/ParserCombinators/Parsec.hs

The first one, utils/ext-core is importing parsec. Is that what you're
trying to build? The parsec package is an extralib so wouldn't be
present unless you did ./darcs-all --extra get

If you can't get the ghc build going try asking on the ghc users mailing
list. Give as much detail as you can about what you did so people can
give you more helpful advice.

Duncan