[Haskell-cafe] Google Summer of Code: Is this idea useful for the community?

fallintothis fall.into.this at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 18:50:51 EDT 2009

I'm planning on applying for the Google Summer of Code and the more I
think about it, the more excited I am over a Haskell reddit-alike[1].
I'm interested in web programming, Haskell, and reddit (being an
addict for some years now).  There's plenty of work to be done on such
a project, there are existing code bases to help along with ideas, and
it doesn't require the deepest knowledge of Haskell or, say, GHC's
guts (not that I don't find those interesting, I'm just no expert).
The hang-up I see is that there's not too much of an immediate
community benefit if reddit already exists (which, I have on good
authority, it does), other than in the interest of eating (or
customizing) your own dog food.  Any members of the Haskell community
(more involved than I am) care to comment?  Would the project be
useful or otherwise good as a Summer of Code idea?

If people don't get too sick of my pestering, I'm also considering
opening it up as a ticket on the trac to see if it gets feedback
there.

Thanks!

[1] http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell_proposals/comments/7u48x/a_simple_redditlike_happsbased_proposal_voting/