[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] Safe Lazy IO in Haskell

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sat Mar 21 17:27:08 EDT 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> We have good news (nevertheless we hope) for all the lazy guys standing there.
> Since their birth, lazy IOs have been a great way to modularly leverage all the
> good things we have with *pure*, *lazy*, *Haskell* functions to the real world
> of files.

Maybe you know of my packages lazy-io and explicit-exception which also
aim at lazy I/O and asynchronous exception handling. With lazy-io, you are
able to write more complicated things than getContents. I needed this for
HTTP communication that is run by demand. That is when the HTTP response
header is requested, then the function could send a HTTP request first. Is
it possible and sensible to combine this with safe-lazy-io?

http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/lazyio
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/explicit-exception

I have also code that demonstrates the usage of explicit asynchronous
exceptions. I have however still not a set of combinators that makes
working with asynchronous exceptions as simple as working with synchronous
ones:
  http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/spreadsheet